11 April 2011

Today's Second Update

Talked to my nurse - the medication orders are the same as yesterday, and we talked a little bit about my options.  She suggested that we wait and see what's going on on Wednesday before we make a decision.  She also said that maybe next time I would respond to the stims an entirely different way.

It's hard to know exactly what I want to do.  I feel better after talking to the financial coordinator - if we cancel, it doesn't count as one of the tries on our 3 times plan, and we don't suddenly incur the responsibility for the monitoring that we've already done during this cycle, they'll call it a wash.  If we decide to convert to IUI, then everything after we decide to convert is our responsibility. It's still quite the outlay for medications if we're not going the IVF route, but it's not quite as bad as I feared.

I'm still not sure which way I'm leaning...But I'm pretty sure that we'll be waiting until Wednesday to make a decision.

I'm not sure that I'm going to school this week.  Tonight I'm supposed to be doing homework, but between the headache from stims, the headache from emotional upheaval, and the upheaval itself, I don't know how much I'll get done.

I've also got lab values for both Saturday and Today.  At least I can see what's not going on?

Saturday (day 6, day 4 of stims):

  • Lining: 5mm
  • Estrogen: 113
  • Progesterone 1.3
  • LH: 3.0
  • Follicles: 13,12,11, rest too small to measure (at least 9)

Today (day 8, day 6 of stims):

  • Lining: 10-11mm
  • Estrogen: 360
  • Progesterone: 1.3
  • LH: 3.5
  • Follicles: 15,15,13, rest too small to measure ( more than 7)


  1. That's great news about the financial aspect of it. I have a question though. What does your dr. consider "too small to measure". Because I am comparing my numbers to yours and your follicles have been consistently bigger than mine on a given day.

    Your 4th day of Stims: 13,12,11 and the rest too small to measure.

    My 4th day of Stims: My follicles were between 7-9mm.

    Could it be that what my doctor measures, your doc considers too small?

    Then your 6th day of stims: 15,15 13 and the rest too small to measure.

    My 6th day: Mine were between 9-12.

    I don't know anything about lab values because my clinic doesn't give me mine. But it looks like (depending on what your doctor feels is "too small") you are actually doing quite well. So could it be that you just have a few lead follicles and the rest might catch up?

    Sorry, I don't mean to give you even more to think about. But yes, I think it's a good idea to wait until Wednesday for a decision. Perhaps by then your "too small" ones will catch up.

    Keeping you in my thoughts!

  2. I am glad that financially at least cancelling or converting won't be the worst thing...but damn, I can just imagine how much it sucks.
    I think waiting until Wednesday and seeing is the best idea. I just read Leigh's post...definitely ask the dr about all of that.

    Good luck! Keep us updated!

  3. Hey Jenni, so sorry things aren't going smoothly. You know Doc doesn't have the best bedside manner (HA!) so you have to read between the lines. Many women are not able to get more than 3 eggs in a cycle, so he must think you are capable of a much better "yield". I do think he is a very excellent RE and while I rant and rave I've stuck with him through thick and thin!

    So I'd wait til Wednesday, he may have a whole different story. IF he suggests waiting (sounds so much better than cancelling), you could also just do the timed BD, I'd guess that would be about as good as an IUI since you can do ICSI? Something to consider anyway, and it is free!

    Best of luck hon, thinking of you!

  4. Well, your lining looks great! Take your time to decide, and go with what your gut tells you. It is good that canceling won't count against your 3 tries...that is actually great news! Hang in there.

  5. Hello, I found your blog through Kerrik's blog.
    I have had several canceled cycles and in my experience, so much can change, so quickly. On day 6 of my IVF cycle, I was told I only had 3 follicles and it wasn't worth IVF (by the nurse) I had several smaller follicles, they kept me on meds and started Ganirelix (keeps you from ovulating on your own while the others grow) and the next time I went in I had 8. When I went into the retrieval I had 14!! There is hope! Don't give up, so much can change, very quickly!

  6. I'm so sorry that you are faced wtih this decision. I think it is wise to wait until your appointment tomorrow to make a choice. It's great that if you decide to cancel it does not count against your total attempts. Cancelling is gut wrenching. We had to do that on our very first attempt and it sucked big time. Hang in there and see what tomorrow brings. Thinking of you.

  7. I am advice-less today. Just wanted you to know that I am sending you lots of good thoughts as you figure out what to do. xoxo


Have an observation, comment, or advice? Please share, I need all the help I can get.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews